The Winter Meetings are just a few days away and it appears likely that the White Sox could be an active team. Though, instead of focussing on current rumors, let’s take a look back at the transactions made by the club dating back to 2006.
December 9-13, 2017: Bay Lake, Florida
Just a year after officially beginning the rebuild, the White Sox remained quiet during the Winter Meetings.
December 4-8, 2016: National Harbor, Maryland
Arguably one of the most memorable Winter Meetings for the White Sox. In a span of two days, the organization completely transformed their farm system by adding four top 40 prospects in just two trades.
- December 6: White Sox acquire 2B Yoan Moncada, RHP Michael Kopech, OF Luis Alexander Basabe, and RHP Victor Diaz from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for LHP Chris Sale.
- December 7: White Sox acquire RHP Lucas Giolito, RHP Reynaldo Lopez, and RHP Dane Dunning from the Washington Nationals in exchange for OF Adam Eaton.
- December 8: White Sox claimed RHP Dylan Covey off waivers from the Oakland Athletics in the Rule 5 Draft.
December 6-10, 2015: Nashville, Tennessee
Nothing to see here. Just a small trade with Oakland to gain some infield depth and a few minor leaguers getting swapped.
- December 9: White Sox acquire INF Brett Lawrie from the Oakland Athletics in exchange for RHP J.B. Wendelken and LHP Zack Erwin.
- December 10: White Sox acquire LHP Will Lamb from the Texas Rangers for RHP Myles Jaye.
December 7-11, 2014: San Diego California
The 2014 offseason was an infamous one for the fanbase. In what was an attempt to go “all in,” the organization made several key moves leading up to the Winter Meetings. Players like J.B. Shuck, Rob Brantly, Zach Duke and Adam LaRoche were signed in the prior weeks. During the Winter Meetings, the White Sox made the following moves:
- December 8: Catcher Rob Brantly was claimed off waivers from the Miami Marlins.
- December 9: White Sox acquire RHP Jeff Samardzija and RHP Michael Ynoa from the Oakland Athletics in exchange for SS Marcus Semien, 1B Rangel Ravelo, C Josh Phegley, and RHP Chris Bassitt.
- December 9: White Sox sign free agent LHP Zach Phillips to a minor league contract and an invite to Spring Training.
- December 10: White Sox sign free agent RHP David Robertson to a four-year, $46 million contract.
- December 11: White Sox acquire LHP Dan Jennings from the Miami Marlins in exchange for RHP Andre Rienzo.
Also worth noting, OF Melky Cabrera was signed to a three-year, $42 million deal just a week after the Winter Meetings on December 16th.
December 9-12, 2013: Bay Lake, Florida
The White Sox brought Adam Eaton to the South Side during their time in Florida. Just four days after the meetings concluded, the Sox also acquired Matt Davidson from the Diamondbacks.
- December 9: White Sox sign free agent RHP Felipe Paulino
- December 10: White Sox acquire OF Adam Eaton from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for LHP Hector Santiago and a player to be named.
- December 12: White Sox claimed C Adrian Nieto off waivers from the Washington Nationals in the Rule 5 Draft.
December 3-6, 2012: Nashville, Tennessee
Only a Rule 5 draft selection was made by the Sox in Nashville.
- December 6: White Sox claimed 2B Angel Sanchez off waivers from the Los Angeles Angels in the Rule 5 Draft.
December 5-8, 2011: Dallas, Texas
For diehard White Sox fans, Sergio Santos will probably ring a bell.
- December 6: White Sox acquire RHP Nestor Molina from the Toronto Blue Jays in exchange for RHP Sergio Santos.
December 6-9, 2010: Bay Lake, Florida
The captain stayed with on the South Side thanks to a new deal.
- December 3: White Sox signed free agent 1B Paul Konerko to a 3-year $37.5 million contract.
December 7-10, 2009: Indianapolis, Indiana
– No transactions –
December 8-11, 2008: Paradise, Nevada
– No transactions –
December 3-6, 2007: Nashville, Tennessee
The White Sox got Quentin just in time for his home run outburst during the 2008 season.
- December 3: White Sox acquire OF Carlos Quentin from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for 1B Chris Carter.
December 4-7, 2006: Bay Lake, Florida
The White Sox received a pair of pitchers in return for the one and only Freddy Garcia.
- December 7: White Sox acquire RHP Gavin Floyd and LHP Gio Gonzalez from the Philadelphia Phillies in exchange for RHP Freddy Garcia.
The 2018 Winter Meetings will be held in Las Vegas from December 9-13. Updates can be found on our social media @SoxOn35th.
Featured Photo: Chicago Tribune